Saturday, May 13, 2006

The Stanton Social (Eclectic)

Visit my awesome new blog at asiaobscura.com, xoxo Dean

99 Stanton St (Orchard & Ludlow St), New York 10002, 212-995-0099

Far over-rated fancy-pants tapas. Reservations at 9:45, seated at 10:15.

French Onion Soup Dumpling - every review I'd read heralded this as the ultimate in oral orgasm. Sadly, it just burned my mouth -- I'm still scalded. This may have put a bad spin on the rest of the meal.
Duck Empanadas with blood orange dipping sauce - too much bread, too little duck. Probably my least favorite empanadas so far.
Crispy Nori Spiced Tuna Tartare Roll - okay, but not so flavorful. the texture was nice.
Baby Spinach with toasted garlic - amazing. absolutely perfect.
Kobe Beef Burgers - I agree with all the reviews saying "you can't tell it's kobe". it just tasted like a good white castle.
Rhode Island Lobster Roll - terrible, but I think I'm biased against lobster of late.
Warm Doughnuts with caramel - absolutely amazing. but, as Bonnie remarked, how can you go wrong with fresh, warm donuts? two other dipping sauces, jam and chocolate, were mostly ignored... the caramel was just perfect.

would not return.

No comments: