Thursday, May 18, 2006

Kittichai (Thai Fusion)

Visit my awesome new blog at asiaobscura.com, xoxo Dean

60 Thompson St @ Spring, New York 10012; 212-219-2000

Lackluster thai fusion in an incredibly haute restaurant.  The decor was pretty magnificent -- dark walls, paper birds floating over a pool of water, orchids preserved in bottles of formaldahyde, etc.  The food?  Bites of it were awesome...  the bulk of it was a weak attempt at fancy thai. 

Crispy Rock Shrimp, Grilled Eggplant and chili lime juice - aka "popcorn shrimp".  rather, bad popcorn shrimp.  this could have been better at that nashville asian fusion chain.
Hudson Valley Seared Foie Gras
 with spiced pineapple marmalade - the foie was amazing.  it was also only 1/3 of the dish.  sadly, the other 2/3 were some thick-sliced deli meat (bad duck) and some unidentifiable tasteless meat in a cracker.
Braised Short Ribs Green Curry & Sweet Basil - pretty lousy, I hate to say.
Prik Vegetables - after I specifically asked "are they prik?", and the waiter insisted "very," I expected at least a modicum of spice.  and yet these were some of the most bland vegetables I've ever had.  cooked well, but hardly worth ordering.
Crispy Whole Fish with lesser-ginger & Thai hot basil - fantastic.  spicy, the presentation (we refused their offer to pre-cut the meat) was amazing, I would definitely order again.  it rivalled the spicy fish at Nyonya.

Fried Banana Slices with honey and ice cream - simple, but delicious.  reminded me so much of a childhood indian restaurant.  I only wish I could remember where it was.


Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone calls to 30+ countries for just 2¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

No comments: