Saturday, February 28, 2009

Luang Prabang

Visit my awesome new blog at asiaobscura.com, xoxo Dean

Luang Prabang is a gorgeous little town -- quite completely stunning
in a cute, quaint, quiet, colonial way. When I asked Debra, at JoMa
Cafe, what there was to do in town, she gave me a great answer. "Eat,
sleep, and read." And I've been doing plenty of the first two.

Sadly, the third one is about all I'll be able to afford to do, unless
the situation changes rapidly. All ATMs in Laos have been down for
two and a half days. (Not just in Luang Prabang, but in the entire
country.) All VISA and Mastercard connections are similarly down. I
have an Amex card, but no-one accepts that (and it would surely be
down anyway.)

Fortunately, every tourist in the country is in the same boat as us.
(We already chipped in for one girl down to her last few kip.) I've
come up with an escape plan: if I can hitchhike to Vientienne, the
capital, and book tickets thru Thai Air's website, I can get back to
Bangkok. But I'm down to about $20 now.

--

Update: got some money. I'd saved this email in my "drafts" folder,
unwilling to send it until the situation was resolved. It was a
little worrying for all of us, though.

No comments: