Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Bus from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

Visit my awesome new blog at asiaobscura.com, xoxo Dean

The ride to Vang Vieng is so fast and furious and windy and crazy that most bus drivers hand out vomit bags as you leave the bus station.  We took anti-sickness pills, snapped on our iPods, and crossed our fingers. 
 
It wasn't as bad as I'd expected, but it was a trial. 
 
Warning -- kinda gross story:  After a few hours, unable to hold the pee any longer, I made my way carefully to the bathroom, holding on to every seat-back I passed for security.  In the tiny bathroom, the seat and floor were both drenched.  I couldn't bear to sit down, so braced myself -- my back against one wall, an arm securely shoved against the far wall, just two feet away.  The bus buckled around a corner, and another, and swerved around another.  Finally, ten minutes later, I managed to pee.  It was terrible.
 
But the view and scenery were amazing.  We only stopped once, so these were taken from my seat as we sped along and veered around on the 6-hour mountainous road.

No comments: